Tuesday 10 March 2009

My Mum

Is improving daily although still has the most awful cough. It really tires her out and scares the living daylights out of me everytime she coughs!!

Funny how things turn out, she has been really lovely to look after, mum is a very strong person, she has had to be....


this was with her brother, her dad was a Chief Engineer and often went to America where he bought 'Shirley Temple' dresses for her as she was the spitting image of her in theose days!

Dad was a seafarer and was often away for 9 months plus each year, so she raised us more or less single handedly.


Mum and Dad on there Wedding Day

My sister and I where often puzzled by this strange man that used to come home and kiss mum!!!!


At my sisters first wedding in 1982, dad died a year later, he didn't look well!

So mum has been a widow for 26 years now and is used to doing and getting her own way, she is not good at sharing and to be honest can be quite difficult on occasions.


With her Great Granddaughter last year

This is a good photo of mum as she doesn't like having her pic taken. We have always disagreed quite strongly, as I won't stand any nonsense from her, well I did leave home at 17! I can't stand her rudeness!
Anyway, it has been rather lovely looking after her, chatting and laughing and generally getting on. I had over the years distanced myself from her, so could take or leave any of the nonsense she gave me. I did my duty as a daughter, nothing more, nothing less. I had no intention of feeling any guilt when she died. But that has changed and I am actually quite fond of her. So we shall see.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Libby....I love you for your honesty, always have....

Just because we are related does not necessarily mean we love members of our family...

She was without doubt a pretty child...and as you say the image of Shirley Temple.....
My Dad was in the Merchant Navy....so he came and went for the first few years of marriage to Mum. My Mum was not a strong woman, so I had quite a difficult childhood....growing up fast.....

Hope all is well with Mum......

Queenly Things said...

It is lovely that your helping her has gone so well. I hope that relationship will continue. It's just so much harder any other way.

Petunia's Gardener said...

Parents can surprise us later in life, I think. Anyway, I'm glad you were willing to give it a go. Hopefully, satisfying to you and to her. Hope she is better soon.
Paula

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you have rediscovered the joys of having a mum.

I so envy you - having not had one - but do understand from friends who have and do have parents that it can be difficult at times.

I hope that she makes a full and speedy recovery