Sunday 8 February 2009

Out of Sorts!

My dear adopted sister J (my neighbour from my childhood home) sent me the sadest of emails yesterday, Her youngest son (16) died on Thursday after a short illness. I have no comprehension of what she is going through but I know it has affected me, as I never seem to stop thinking about it.
Being a parent I think it hits you hard, but 16 for goodness sake!

Do Not Stand At My Grave and Weep

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glint on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you wake in the morning hush,
I am the swift, uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starlight at night.

Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there, I do not sleep.
Do not stand at my grave and cry.
I am not there, I did not die!




Mary Frye (1932)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so so sad. I'm sure the blogging network will let you know it cares. Every so often life pulls one up with a horrid jolt and I keep finding the fragility of life and the vulnerability of loving really challenging too, too much so. Be kind to yourself because you're hurting.

Shammickite said...

How very sad. Only eighteen. His whole life ahead of him.
My thoughts are with you, and with your friend and her family.

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

How terribly sad to lose a young son like that. Life can be very cruel sometimes.

My thoughts are with you and with your adopted sister and her family.

Sheila said...

This is so sad. Yours is the third blog this week that talks of a child having died.
I can't imagine how that must feel. My prayers go out to you and your friends family.