Wednesday 4 February 2009

UK Snow

Everyone moans about snow in the UK! How the country grinds to a halt! The airports can't run fully, the roads aren't gritted, the schools are shut etc etc.



It really really annoys me. When I was a youngster, we used to regularly, well more often than we do now, get snow in winter. People just got on with it. Schools where never shut, playgrounds had icy slides the children had made. Health and Safety was not heard of. Mums where at home in case of any accidents and life was brill!



Now the counties run out of salt for gritting the roads, and that's after a couple of days of snow. I came home from Swindon on a sheet of glass, last night, as no one had gritted. I passed a young girl of about T's age who had pulled in and probably had no idea how to drive in such treacherous conditions. Well we don't need to teach them how too as these conditions so rarely happen!



Buses don't run because its too dangerous, but what they really worry about is someone suing them for Health & Safety reasons because something is wet, icy or just to darn slippy!



Sadly a young girl was killed sledging yesterday, no doubt some silly law will come in to stop children sledging! We have to take some risks otherwise where is the fun in life.



Other countries cope! Yes they do but then they have snow falls most winters and so have all the equipment. I would go out and buy chains for tyres, special boots for walking, I would pay for my girls to learn to skid too, if I knew this was going to be a regular occurrence.



So stop moaning UK, take your time, walk slowly, drive slowly and enjoy this very rare occurrence!

Rant over!!!

The whole, yes the WHOLE of my house is going to be cleaned! All my carpets cleaned, curtains, duvets, pillows, walls, ceilings, suites, lamps, you name it, it will be cleaned, because of smoke damage! If the carpet in the lounge and in fact the walls and ceiling don't clean up well enough I will get a new carpet and be redecorated!!

Now I didn't think it was quite that bad but it is! Excellent says I, thinking I won't need to clean the house before my party........ WRONG

This is the culprit



my chimney needs to be reboarded



and it can't be done in time, hrmph. So instead I will get it all spring cleaned afterwards!!

11 comments:

Gretel said...

Hm, well, I'm still glad Andy didn't go to work on the worst days of the week - 45 miles each way on a motorbike, either at 6am in the morning or returning at 11pm when our roads have been blocked or like ice rinks. I'd rather have him alive.

Libby said...

Well I totally agree, exspecially on a motorbike. My hubby rides one so I know how bad it is.
A snow day is a good idea and had I been able to persuade hubbie we would have had fun!!

Sheila said...

When you have it now and again it can be fun. We have been snowed under for the past six week, with bitter cold temps to boot. The novelty wears off after Christmas believe me. Salt and sand comes in on boots, and I seem to be vacuuming constantly, and washing floors. Cars have to scraped and started well before you leave to go anywhere. And...believe me, althought we get this every winter, people still forget how to drive, and on the first hours of
any snow fall, there are usually 100's of accidents reported and that is just on the roads in Southern Ontario.
Only when I am inside and cosy, do I enjoy it..!
By the way..you were right about the date of Shrove Tuesday..my daughter made a mistake..!

Auntie Noo said...

Well you know I agree!!! :) We might be in for more tomorrow too!

tropical-pete said...

No schools closed here so far this week Libby, although we haven't had much snow compared to other areas. More forecast for tonight though as well as a frost, so a lot of the sludge that's been around today will probably freeze over.

You've got some lovely snow pictures - I haven't taken any as the snow turns to sludge so fast or wasn't thick enough to look decent!

Great to hear you're getting your entire house cleaned and/or redecorated - you must be pretty pleased!!!

Cheryl said...

Good on you Libby....you have voiced my opinions totally.....when I was a child I walked miles in the snow to get to school, it was great.....we did just get on with life and were better for it....

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Lovely rant - lovely photos and great the house is being cleaned for you - after the party is good - they can make a mess an you won't worry.

Petunia's Gardener said...

I'm just glad you were able to catch the fire problem in time. Now what do you mean by reboarded? All along the inside or just the part to block it off when not in use? Something lost in translation there, I think.

Here in our area we don't usually get much snow/ice and it shuts everything down. Don't have the equipment to clear it, and do have the curves, hills & cliffs to make it dangerous! And many have driven so little in it that driving becomes very dangerous. Working remotely via the internet is the way to go on these days! It is a fun diversion for a few days. Ours came in Dec. & hope we're done! Keep warm!

Anonymous said...

In case it matters at all, the comment that 'was removed by the author' was me! I ranted so much I thoroughly embarrassed myself. Metaphorically I ought to have engaged brain before opening mouth. Thank you Libby for getting me going though! Our little community on a hill is all snowed in and we are dealing with it sensibly. And enjoying it. So sorry for you Libby that you've some difficulties. You work so hard. Have you considered having a decorating party with sleepovers? liZZie x

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

You are so right with your rant and it's the same here. Just a bit of snow fall and everything grinds to a halt.

That's quite a lot of cleaning that needs to be done.