Tuesday 24 February 2009

Pudding Club!



This is where I was taken for a 50th Birthday surprise by my friends C & P, if you remember hubby & I where bestman and bestlady at their wedding.





The Pudding Club was set up in 1985 to preserve the tradition of the 'Great British Pudding'.

They suggest you have a small main course, no starter.




The Menu



The Puddings



There are 7 puddings Syrup Sponge, Lord Randall's Pudding,( steamed pudding made with marmalade and Apricots)Sticky Toffee Pudding, Spotted Dick and Custard, Rhubarb Crumble, Squidgy Chocolate Pudding and Apple & Mincemeat Pudding, plus they make 8 gallons of custard!

You are expected to sample them all (if you can)and the rules are that you are not allowed to have two puddings in your bowl at one time so you must finish each one in turn! I though I was very clever and had very small portions of each pudding.

Yes I did manage all 7, I have a certificate to prove it! At the end of the evening we voted on the favourite pudding of the night...... Squidgy Chocolate Pudding won, followed by my particular favourite Apple & Mincemeat Pudding!

One gentleman had 8 helpings of Spotted Dick??? Which begs the question why go to a Pudding Evening and only have one pudding????

Our room...





The view from our room...



Would I recommend this, most definately, fantastic food, beautiful hotel, wonderful location and to die for puddings!! Well try it at least once!

I think I maybe 50 again next year and I'm sure with my bad memory I could convince evreyone that I had never had a birthday or any presents so they would have to do it all over again!!!!!!!!!!!

8 comments:

Auntie Noo said...

So completely my idea of heaven!!! Glad you had such a fab time.

Sheila said...

Ooh Libby, my idea of heaven..!
My mouth is watering at the very thought of those puddings, and I would have sampled evey one too..!
It looks like a smashing place, and I think if I were you I'd be working on my next visit as well.
hugs
xx

Shammickite said...

This weekend sounds absolutely divine, specially with all the different puddings. My mum used to make bread and butter pudding, wonderful with custard. My 2 boys love custard but one of my DILs thinks its disgusting stuff! Oh well, you can't please everyone all the time! Congratulations on your 50th birthday, may there be many more!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh what a fabulous time you had. I had heard of the pudding club - very quaint, very British, and very funny.

Congratulations of eating seven and getting the certificate - well done you.

And what a lovely location - another fabulous memory to pack away for cold winter nights in years to come

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

The pudding club was starred in one of Rick Stein's series a few years ago so I had heard of it. Reading your post it's obvious that you had a ball. Love the pic of you and your hubby.

Good grief girl, 7 puddings, I don't know if I could manage that, so well done Libby!

Queenly Things said...

Lashings of custard?? Oh, my, that sounds like my idea of heaven!! Sounds like your birhtday season is going marvelously.

Julia Guthrie said...

The pudding club!!! OH MY...I need to start one of those. LOL My husband would be in heaven!

Fabulous photos, looks like you had a lovely time :)

Ps. Hope your Mum is doing better now

Matron said...

I remember seeing the pudding club on Rick Stein's programme. I'm not sure if I could manage all 7 puddings... but I would be happy to give it a good go!