Friday 16 January 2009

Bees

As you know, I have a passion for the Hardy Tropical plants. Last year I had decided to extend my Tropicals to the beds at the bottom of the garden. But then autumn winter came and I had to dig up and lift into the greenhouse alot of these plants. Which proved to cause a few problems with my back.

Well now I have come to a decision. Sit down and take a deep breathe and read on please.

I was watching 'Its Not Easy Being Green' on BBC2 at 8pm on Wednesday, I was/am a huge fan of the first series and in fact it was watching this programme that got me into veg growing. Anyway I digress. I was watching this the other night and Dick Strawbridge was talking about the humble 'Bumble Bee' and how its struggling and what is said may happen if they die out. I have also enjoyed Cheryl's Blog and her many happenings with the bees in her garden.
Bearing this in mind I shall keep the jungle at the top,



it helps keep the patio cool in the summer and I have decided to return the bottom plot of land to plants for the Bumble Bees. Which I believe will look very pretty and be better for my back. I will keep a couple of my 'Large Leaved Jungle ' plants but I will plant alot more flowers.
I shall also improve the flowerbed up by the Veg Patch.



I shall join Bumblebee Conservation
and if I had the space I would have had a go at a bee hive.
But the good thing as far as I am concerned is I still get to grow my Brugmansias, as I know from past years the Bees love these!

6 comments:

naturewitch said...

Hi Libby
Thanks for thinking of the bees. We all need to act together to conserve them. I wish you could get a hive - they are great fun.
love and light

naturewitch said...

Hi Libby

Me again. I've just seen your post with the donkeys. Yes, donkeys can eat carrots and apples; they love them in fact. You can also try them on a little orange peel.

I had donkeys when I lived on a property - they are such clever little monkeys. They also love a little bit of molasses if you have it. Mine used to lick it right off the spoon. xx

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

An excellent decision Libby, the bees (bumble or otherwise) need our help to survive. I watched INEBG too this week and was shocked to hear that 2 billion bees have disappeared last year and they are predicting the same amount will be lost this year as well. This is not the kind of news that makes us happy, is it?

The new border that I created last year in my garden is packed with bee friendly plants and it seems to work a treat as I had many bees in my garden last summer.

Make sure that your bee friendly border will flower for as long as possible (say March till the end of October). Bees need water too but you have a pond so that's covered. Have you considered buying or making bee hotels as many solitair bees need a place to stay? Lots of info can be found on the internet.

Thanks for the link to the Bumblebee Conservation!

Have a great weekend!

Libby said...

Yolanda:-'Bee Hotels' I hadn't thought of that and should of as Cheryl does that, mmmmmmm definately looking into that too, Thanks
Naturewitch:-The donkeys had gone when I last walked round the village but I will pop some apple or carrot in my pocket just incase.

Cheryl said...

Hi Libby... I can't tell you how happy you have just made me. Tks for thinking of the bees.
I will be doing a post in the next few weeks on nesting homes for humble bumbles, as recommended by the RHS. They are so easy to do......

Have a great weekend.....

Julia Guthrie said...

What a good idea! I love the idea of making a bee area :)

And I tried to grow a Brugmanisa once...it had white flowers. And used to get attacked by billions & billions of bugs...