Sunday 25 January 2009

Rescue Operation!

I know this probably should have taken place abit sooner, but I had to wait till hubby could go and get the bark chippings for me.



This is the banana that has flopped and it was soft all the way down, so I cut it back and scarily it was soft in the centre as well.



So covered it with a good layer of bark chippings.




The same down by the pond




this was even softer when cut back as you can see from the pic,



but we try and you never know!?

Although I am relatively confident the gunnera will be ok



I gave that a layer of chippings too. Now all we can do is keep our fingers and toes crossed.



Surprisingly my Cordyline



and the bamboos




are doing really well. I do love the bamboos as they sway in the wind, they make a very pleasant rustling sound.

The new Caster Oil plant, which if you remember I bought for £5 last year and is currently in a large pot on the north side of the house, has collapsed occasionally from the very low temps but is currently looking very good as you can see.



Again I like this plant but can see it may very well outgrow this spot!
I wonder if maybe I don't care enough for my plants, but I believe I must be realistic, especially with my back being as bad as it can be. If I lose the banana on the patio will it be so bad, not really as I will get to see the trachycarpus abit better.



The one by the pond wound probably get too big for where it is anyway, so maybe fate or should I say mother nature has other plans!

6 comments:

tropical-pete said...

You've done the best thing Libby - I think Basjoo are very hardy at the roots so they may well come back from the ground for you. I even wrapped mine and, although I haven't looked inside yet, the stems feel a bit soft!

Not sure about our Gunnera though, it's gone quite soft in the centre, but I guess we'll have to wait until Spring until we can really tell what living and what's not!

Cheryl said...

Hi Libby....Living in the UK we are never really sure what the weather will do with out gardens. For me that is part of the excitement. I do hope your tropicals recover and we can see your beautiful garden in all its glory......

Anonymous said...

When I used to have Gunnera they always died back in the winter and grew again in the spring. The bamboo, cordyline and phormiums thrive too.

I hope your bananas make it - they should do.

Fingers crossed

Shammickite said...

I have fingers, toes and eyes crossed that your tropicals will survive! Good thing you don't live here in S Ontario.... it's -9C out there right now, going down to about -15C tonight. I am getting very very fed up with this cold.

Quail said...

I've just book marked your blog for tropical planting know-how!

Linda said...

We used to cut our banana down after the frost, we haven't grown it here because didn't want a frost bitten plant but I miss it.

I imagine your banana loves having water from the pool.