Friday 5 December 2008

Best Kept Secret

Now this is my best kept secret ever, don't tell everyone, you must promise, I'm sharing it with you and you alone, OK?

I know most people can make their own mincepies, but do you know the real secret to getting the beautiful pastry you get in some of the more expensive shop bought ones?

Pate a Sucre, to you and me Sugar Pastry. I learnt this when I went to Catering College, one or two years ago!!! It is the business.

Now I have doubled up my ingredients as I know I will use it, but I suggest if your going to try it for the first time to use the following recipe.

Just 5 Ingredients



200g flour (soft) 8oz
50g sugar 2oz
pinch of salt
125g butter 5oz
1 egg


Sieve the flour and salt (by the way I use plain flour)
Lightly rub in the butter to a sandy texture.




Mix the sugar and egg until dissolved.



Add the sugar and beaten egg.



Gradually incorporate the flour and butter and lightly mix to a smooth paste.



Now this is a little bit sticky so you would need to add a little(I mean a little) bit of flour!





Allow to rest in a cool place before using.
I pop it in the fridge, wrapped in clingfilm and leave for about 45 mins, or until you are ready to use it.
This is a very delicate (short) pastry so will not take heavy handling. Don't let it get too warm otheriwse it will break. Take your time!






First batch ready for the oven!

Now cooked



another 2 dozen cooking



If I don't get these in the freezer quickly they will be eaten!!!!!!

5 comments:

mrsnesbitt said...

Oooooooooooooooooooh! These sound gorgeous! I fully agree about getting them into the freezer asap! Jon has a habit of coming in just when I life stuff out of the oven.Dont you find, just when they are cooling down they taste wonderful! Tee Hee!

Ladybird World Mother said...

Oh they look just gorgeous. Will make some today! Thank you hugely for easy recipe and pics!
YUM!

Balisha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Naturegirl said...

Libby temp. of oven please!!!!

Anonymous said...

I loved recognizing the K-Mixer! Memories! You are so beautifully busy!