Tuesday 16 December 2008

Christmas Cake!

When we went out to South Africa to spend Christmas with hubbies sister a number of years ago and she kicked us out and we had to fly home early. My girls where so badly affected by this, as they had never witnessed anyone treating family like their Aunty treated their Dad, that I decided we should have a 2nd Christmas and invited all the family. We did it at the end of January, put up all the Christmas decorations which my neighbours thought was hysterical. We had a such a lovely time and the family still talk of it now, so I have decided to have a 2nd Christmas this year.
I already have a Turkey Crown in the freezer and the other bits and pieces are easily obtained, the only thing I don't have is crackers. You can't have Christmas dinner without crackers can you??
So to get me underway I started to marzipan one of the Cakes (I still have 3)one to take up with us, one for home and one for hubbies birthday!

When I opened the box that the cake had been kept in it smelt divine, mmmmmmmmmm,



rolled out the marzipan, having melted some apricot jam and spread that on the cake, so it will stick



placed it over



and finished off.



I used to make and decorate cakes for friends, weddings and christnings, I'll show you some pics one day!
No one is keen on marzipan in our family and I think they would quite like me to leave it off. But I am very particular about this. You will see that my cakes are quite deep. I like a deep cake and make the mixture for a 9 inch round tin and bake it in an 8 inch round! Using marzipan gives you a better finish for the fondant icing, as you will see.

My decoration this year is going to be very different from any I have done before. I just hope it works

5 comments:

Jess said...

It's going to be wonderful!x

Queenly Things said...

I can't wait to see it finished.

Lucky-1 said...

You go girl:D

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

That cake looks already great, save me a piece, will you? ;-)

Anonymous said...

Those years at catering college did you proud. I love deep cakes too.

Tis perfect