Wednesday 17 December 2008

Finished Cake

I thought I would get on and finish one of the cakes. I had seen something which I quite liked so decided to go along with a Rustic look!
Yesterday I dried some oranges in the Rayburn having sprinkled them with icing sugar first.I then assembled all the ingredients........



I can assure you the Vodka was not for drinking, it is what you use to spread over the marzipan to sterilize and stick the fondant icing. If you use water it eats away at the icing.



I have rolled out the icing and put the vodka on the marzipan.



Smoothed out the icing ready for decoration.



I frosted some Rosemary with egg white and caster sugar



Then finished it off with the dried Orange slices and some sticks of cinnamon. All I need now are 3 slim gold coloured candles about 4 inches high to finish it, sadly I haven't found any locally.



I am pleased with the result!

11 comments:

mrsnesbitt said...

Ooooooooooooooooooooooh! Good tip re the vodka!

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Oooooooooooh indeed. Tell you what, you bring the cake and I'll bring the wine and we'll both have a great time! ;-)

Hope you find the candles you want.

Queenly Things said...

That is lovely. Stunning decoration and no piping our fiddly things that I'm not good at. You are a marvel!!

Anonymous said...

I never knew that about vodka - brilliant, and you are certainly extremely talented. I adore the rosemary and dried oranges too. The last time I iced a cake like that was when there were everso many 'in-laws' who considered me most dotty for being vegetarian and a bit of a tree hugger and I got so pissed off I iced the cake in green icing 'Green Peace to all men' sort of thing and giggled far too much which only confirmed their worst fears. Long, long time ago. Bit like your S Africa experience probably. Wish I was as good natured as you about that sort of thing. Hope all goes well for you and yours. X

Shammickite said...

I absolutely LOVE that cake, you have inspired me, I want to make one too!
I always make my own marzipan and then put Royal icing on top, but have never used fondant icing.... do you buy it or make your own?

Anonymous said...

When I used to do sugarcraft and make wedding cakes etc - we always used alcohol on marzipan - it makes the fondant icing stick. Isn't great to just be able to buy icing, and marzipan, roll it out, and put it on - makes it all so easy doesn't it.

That's how I do all my cakes now - never bother with the frosty icing or royal icing any more.

Looks lovely Libby - are you going to cover the board with icing too?

Love the 'rustic' look.
'Pleased' you should be delighted - its gorgeous.

Libby said...

Yolanda, your on lol!!!

Vallen, you are so talented on the crafting side of things though.

Lizzie, I try hard to be good natured, but I do bang things together occasionally lol!!!

Shammickite, I'm sorry to say I buy it, but what a clever invention hey!!

Lottie, no, I don't cover the board especially wneb travelling as fingerprints usually end up in it lol!

Anonymous said...

Yummy!!!!

Jo
x

Naturegirl said...

A work of art!!

naturewitch said...

Hi Libby

I like your use of Vodka between the marzipan and the fondant. I always use egg white or strained apricot jam - they work very well too.

Love the way you've decorated the cake, by the way. Absolutely gorgeous! I've decided to go au naturel this year with ours. Not very festive, perhaps, but a lot less work!

Hope you have a great Christmas. xx

Julia Guthrie said...

I love that cake decoration!! So simple but so beautiful :)