Saturday 6 December 2008

Living the High Life!

I love living where I live, I only wish I could share with you the view of the sky at night. Being out in the country we have no light polution and some nights there are so many stars in the sky, you just stare in wonder. Tonight is one of those nights and its chilly!!

As usually I have not been sat around on my butt! Hubby went to work and T went on her Passplus lesson and had her first drive on the motorway and into Bristol on a busy Christmas Saturday, she loved it. Anyway whilst she was out I went to Devizes for fireproof rope for my multifuel stove in the front room, it had worn away so needed replacing which involves scraping and wire brushing and cutting and glueing!



I apologise for the pic, I am taking some terrible photos at the moment, probably because I am using a different camera as my old one is being held together with elasticbands!! I miss it!! As you can see the new rope is in place. I thought to try and save our coal I would saw up some old pallets I had been using to edge beds with. Huh! easier said than done, boy was it hard, but at least I have one box full



which will be enough if we need it. Sometimes our front room being north facing can get a bit chilly in the evening and you need a burst of fire to help warm it up abit! We have found where the giraffe (draft to everyone else) is coming from and we may have to remove the ceiling in the porch to find out! That is one job I don't mind supervising but won't do as I'm not keen on spiders!!

Then I topped up one of the cakes with some brandy



ate a couple of mincepies, mmmmmmmmmm they are so lovely. But I have frozen 4 dozen now. Still have some mincemeat left to make some more.

Note to self: 2009 make more mincemeat than you did this year!!!!

Now I am here, typing and catching up!

8 comments:

mrsnesbitt said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm! The stove looks so welcoming! I could just see myself sitting besides it eating cake and mince pies!

Have a good night.

Cheryl said...

I know what you mean Libby....without light pollution the night skies are so magical.......we are lucky.....

I love your stove.......it is so much tidier than my inglenook.....I am afraid the house takes a back seat.....I have been in the garden all day, cold but sunny....lovely day for working out there.....

The cake looks gorgeous.....I love christmas cake and mince pies. Yummu

Shammickite said...

ooooo mince pies, how yummy!
I haven't been blogging for a while due to... well... you don't really want to know... so I have a lot to catch up with. I'll be starting some christmas baking too, have already baked 2 christmas cakes, I have them wrapped up and have fed them with some Harveys Bristol Cream Sherry! I'll be making marzipan next week and then icing them with Royal Icing.

lilymarlene said...

There is NOTHING like a home baked mince pie is there! Bought ones are such a disappointment.

We stayed on Madeira once and being so far out in the ocean there was no light pollution there either. It was spectacular.
Where we live now is not bad but could be better as we do have street lighting.

Anonymous said...

Wow you have been busy - love the minus mince pies!

Cakes look fabby - and you are a whizz at DIy

Vodka Mom said...

Come over here and bring ME a mincepie!!!

Auntie Noo said...

The stars were incredible last night weren't they. I have some street lighting and they were still amazing, so yours must have been truly beautiful! Mind you the frost this morning comes a close second!

Queenly Things said...

Devizes - the Black Swan and my first taste of sticky toffee pudding. The Crown - the best Sunday roast I've ever had. You are lucky indeed to live where you do.